Monday, January 21, 2013

Light Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I love Panera Bread's Broccoli Cheddar Soup, I mean who doesn't. It is rich, creamy, and yummy. When I found this soup recipe, I was super excited to try it. However, when I looked at the 'RICH' ingredients, I knew I can't use all these ingredients and feel guilty for a week. So I lightened it and loved it. Of course, it is not as rich as Panera Bread's soup but definitely good. 

Broccoli Cheddar Soup 

Butter - 2 Tbsp
Onion - 1 Medium, chopped
All purpose flour - 1/4 Cup
1% Milk - 2 cups
Chicken Stock - 2 Cups
Fresh Broccoli - 1/2 lb 
Carrot - 1 cup, grated
Nutmeg - 1/4 Tsp
Cheddar Cheese - 4 Tbsp
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste


Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add milk.

Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.

Add salt and pepper add cheese. Stir in nutmeg.

How I made it light: 
- The original recipe used half and half instead of milk, I substituted it for 1% milk
- I only used 4 Tbsp cheese, the original recipe asked for 8 ounces (16 Tbsp)
- The recipe also had an additional step of sauteing onions separately in butter, I skipped it to save on butter

No comments:

Post a Comment